Resources below are shared from various links! Thanks!
First Mental Health Resources are listed….then below….Find the area PFLAG links.
24-Hour Hotlines & Informational Websites
Sante Group is part of Eastern Shore Operations Center (ESOC) Serves as the behavioral health emergent, urgent and information and referral call center for all nine counties of the Eastern Shore: Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester Counties. The ESOC is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assess and respond to calls from consumers, family members, community members, businesses and human services agencies. ESOC staff provide linkage to community resources through referral to all appropriate and existing behavioral health and human services. Phone: 1-888-407-8018 https://www.thesantegroup.org/eastern-shore-crisis
Hotline: 888-407-8018 – Call this number for immediate crisis support.
The Trevor Project
Our trained counselors are here to support you 24/7. If you are a young person in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgment-free place to talk, call the TrevorLifeline now at 1-866-488-7386. Thetrevorproject.org
LGBTQ+ and Addiction: Causes, Resources and Treatment – Substance use disorders have a greater effect on LGBTQ+ people than on the heterosexual population. The LGBTQ+ community must overcome several obstacles, including being denied substance abuse treatment because of their sexual identity. However, through the proper understanding and accommodation of LGBTQ+ care principles, substance abuse treatment can be successful. https://www.drugrehab.com/guides/lgbtq/
Life Crisis Center Hotline
Provides counseling for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault, suicide prevention, support groups, emergency shelter, shelter referral, medical care, and assistance with the process of prosecution. Phone: 410-749-HELP http://www.lifecrisiscenter.org/
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Provides counseling for suicide prevention 1-800-273-8255 http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
American Association to Prevent Suicide
Out of the darkness Community Walk takes place on Kent Island, MD in October annually. This research based organization is great! www.afsp.org
Maryland Suicide Hotline
Crisis intervention, support and referrals 1-800-422-0009
For All Seasons, Inc. Hotline
Counseling, advocacy, and education to victims of rape, sexual assault and abuse. 24-Hour Crisis Hotline: 1-800-310-7273, 410-820-5600 (call/text) http://forallseasonsinc.org/
Mid-Shore Council on Family Violence Provides direct services for victims of family violence including a 24-hour hotline, crisis intervention, counseling, support group, emergency shelter, client advocacy, children’s program, court accompaniment, information and referral. Phone: 410-690-3222 – Hotline: 800-927-467 http://www.mscfv.org/
Maryland State (AIDS) Hotline Information on testing and other referrals. Monday through Friday – 9 AM to 5 PM (Except Holidays)
- If Calling Out of State: (800) 358-9001
- In Maryland, (Bilingual) 800-638-6252
- In Metro DC. & VA: (800) 322-7432
- Hispanic AIDS Hotline: (301) 949-0945
- Baltimore only TTY area: (410) 333-2437
Americans with Disabilities Act Hotline For information and technical assistance about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) contact the ADA Information Line. ADA Specialists are available to provide ADA information and answers to technical questions on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. or on Thursday from 12:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time). Voice: 800-514-0301 TTY: 800-514-038 http://www.ada.gov/index.html
Network of Care A Web-Based Internet Tool for Mental Health, a mental health resource for everyone, including a provider service network, a medical library, resource/veterans’ links and support/advocacy group contacts. Sponsored By: Department of Health & Mental Hygiene; Transformation Project and Mid-Shore Mental Health Systems, Inc. http://www.networkofcare.org/splash.aspx
Chesapeake Helps Information and referral specialists are available to help callers find non-profit local services in their county. Phone: 1-866-722-HLPS (4577) http://www.chesapeakehelps.org/
Mid-Shore Behavioral Health Systems, Inc – Resources and Links
Maryland Community Services Locator
Maryland’s Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
Maryland’s Mental Hygiene Administration
Network of Care
Maryland’s Department of Human Resources
Maryland’s Department of Juvenile Services
Maryland Health Insurance Plan
Maryland Children’s Health Insurance Program
Maryland Health Connection
U.S. Social Security Administration
Support for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People, Families, and Allies
PFLAG Mid-Shore provides support, events, advocacy, and engages in community activism in order to support families, allies, and individuals who are LGBTQ+. Meetings are monthly in Centreville, Chestertown, and Easton.
Mid Shore Transliance is a group for those on the mid shore that identify anywhere along the gender spectrum and allies. Our goal is to have a welcoming space that encourages sharing and support among our members while preserving everyone’s dignity. This group meets two times a month in Easton.
Transliance maintains groups in both Rehoboth and Salisbury and organizes meetings and activities in a safe and inviting atmosphere geared towards transgender individuals and family and friends of transgender individuals.
Gender Expression Movement is a support and social group that meets monthly in New Church, Virginia.
TransParent, Delmarva meets monthly in Lewes, Delaware and seeks to empower families with the knowledge and resources to help gender independent children live authentically.
A new downloadable publication: Building Fierce GSA! (pdf)
Other Training Resources
PFLAG Training PowerPoint Presentations
- Powerful Parenting: Protecting Your Children from Hidden Harm is a PDF version of the slides we use in training parents how to support their children’s understanding of their own romantic orientation and gender identity and expression.
- Making School Safe for LGBT Children is a PDF version of the slides we used in training student services professionals at Howard County, Montgomery County and Anne Arundel County schools.
- For PFLAG Chapters: Supporting Families with Trans and Gender Non-conforming Children is a link to this presentation to Google Drive.
PFLAG Training Handouts
- Responding to Gay Slurs and Gender Creative Kids helps educators and other adult leaders feel empowered to speak up and reach out to support all children.
- 10 Reasons Why Schools Benefit from GSAs
- Overview for Educators
- Transgender in Books and Movies is a short compilation of print and video resources to provide insight and open the conversation about gender. It is aimed primarily at children, young adults and parents.
- Transgender Facts, Definition and Phases of Transition
Other Training Resources
- Human Rights Campaign and Gender Spectrum report on Supporting and Caring for Our Gender Expansive Youth helps professionals understand the special needs and heightened risks for these children.
PFLAG Across Mid-Atlantic
- Baltimore County (Lutherville) website and Facebook page
- Carroll County (Westminster) website and Facebook page
- Kent County (Chestertown), Facebook page
- Howard County (Columbia) website and Facebook page
- Frederick County, Central Maryland
- PFLAG Leonardtown
- Salisbury website and Facebook Page
- Washington, D.C.
- Abingdon, Washington County
- Blacksburg, New River Valley
- Charlotte, Blue Ridge Facebook Page
- Floyd Facebook Page
- Fredericksburg Facebook Page
- Norfolk, South Hampton Roads Facebook Page
- Richmond Facebook Page
- Winchester Facebook Page
- Allentown/Eastern PA
- Bucks County
- Butler County
- Erie/Erie & Crawford Counties
- Harrisburg/Central PA Facebook Page
- Pittsburgh Facebook Page
- West Chester/Chester County